Beer Cities: We Are Not Alone
Back in October we sent a couple of delegates from Nottingham to Norwich for the Beer Cities’ inaugural forum...
This was an event organised by the kind folks at Norwich City of Ale and the aim was to get together people from various cities organising ‘beer week’ style events to share knowledge and best practice.
Speakers at the event included:
- Beer writer Pete Brown, who gave a keynote speech about the state of the nation in terms of beer cities, pubs, breweries & beer.
- Good Beer Guide legend Roger Protz, who facilitated a series of sessions where beer week members gave presentations about their city.
- 2017 Beer Writer of the Year Adrian Tierney-Jones
- Engaging with local media by David Powles, Editor Eastern Daily Press, Norwich Evening News
- The Role of the BIDS by Stefan Gurney, Executive Director, Norwich BID & Vice Chair, BID Foundation
- CAMRA and Cities of Beer: Using our branches to climb higher by Tom Stainer, Chief Communications & Campaigns Officer, CAMRA
- How SIBA can help boost your beer city by Mike Benner, CEO, SIBA
The forum was funded by a grant from the Worshipful Company of Brewers’ Research and Education Fund (BREF) that recognises its potential importance and the considerable uplift that British beer cities and beer weeks provide for their regional economies. One of the biggest take homes from the event for us was that there are so many other people out there doing similar things across the UK. So, if you’re interested in 2019 being your year of beer then here are all the other weeks organised by our comrades (dates listed are for 2018):
- Sheffield Beer Week (11-17 March)
- Oxford Beer Week (4-12 May)
- Edinburgh Beer Week (May)
- Norwich City of Ale (23 May – 2 June)
- Manchester Beer Week (June)
- Nottingham Craft Beer Week (8-15 June)
- York City of Ale (29 June – 7 July)
- Birmingham Beer Week (July)
- Leeds Beer Week (August)
- Brighton & Hove Beer Week (August –September)
- Bristol Beer Week (September)
- Tunbridge Wells Beer Weekend (September)
- Cheltenham Beer Week (September)
- Leicester Beer Week (September)
- Stockport Beer Week (September)
Find out more on the Beer Cities website